Thursday, July 1, 2010

Welcome

Welcome to Setting the Tone: Musical Ideas for Liturgy.


This blog is a new undertaking for me, and a new way for me to share what I hope to be helpful suggestions for making the music at liturgies and prayer gatherings more meaningful, more beautiful, and more engaging for the gathered assembly. In my years as a music director, composer, music editor, and music leader I’ve learned some things...and continue to learn things!...I’d like to share with my readers. I’ve been blessed to have had the opportunity to lead music at national music, liturgy, and religious education conferences, but the majority of my experience comes from my 16+ years as a staff member of St. Ann’s Catholic Church in Marietta, Ga. There, at my home parish, I had the privilege of leading music at the Life Teen Mass from 1992–2005. In addition, I have led (and currently lead) music for the 7:15 am Mass, the 8:45 am (Contemporary) Mass, and the 10:30 am Family/Children’s Mass.


Often, my suggestions will focus on the more “contemporary” side of music for worship, but the principles can easily be applied to liturgical music of all styles. I fervently hope that you will read, comment, and share YOUR ideas with me and other readers, too. How better to learn than from one another, as we all strive to give glory to God day after day and week after week. So, welcome to Setting the Tone. I’m glad you’re here and hope you’ll stop by often. 


Some of these earlier “articles” have already been shared at www.wlpmusic.com <http://www.wlpmusic.com>  and through the LifeTeen Liturgy Guides.

No comments:

Post a Comment