Monday, August 5, 2013

Some new Mass parts...

Awhile back I had mentioned that I was producing a recording of a new Mass setting by young composer, Rachel Frazier.  The setting is called Mass for A New Era. World Library Publications actually introduced it at NPM last week in Washington, D.C. It's primarily based on 'call and response style,' so if you're looking for something easy to teach your parish (or something instantly useable) you should check it out.
Rachel originally composed the music on guitar, but I was asked to arrange some keyboard parts for it. The entire setting is available 
here.
Listen to the 
recording and sing along as if you are 'in the pews.'

Take a listen to all of the different parts. The assembly echoes the cantor for almost every part (not the ‘Glory to God’). This could be very helpful if you are asked to lead music for a mass in an unfamiliar setting. Now that the church is ‘still learning’ all of these new Mass settings, it’s not as common, yet, to find one that everyone seems to know.




Something else new...


I've also included something else that's new: a Gospel Acclamation from a new setting I'm currently working on. This recording/video (from two weeks ago) is in G, but I'm considering lowering it to F. Here's a recording and a lead sheet. I'd love it if you could check it out and let me know what you think.






14 comments:

  1. Love this. Yes, please lower the key to F. The ladies in many congregations don't do well singing any higher than a C above middle C.

    Can't wait till the rest of the Mass setting is done.

    Shawnda Draeger
    Director of Music & Liturgy
    St. Patrick-St. Anthony Parish
    Grand Haven, MI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny (Jones) CollinsAugust 6, 2013 at 8:54 AM

      Listened to it three times! Love it! Find myself singing it an octave lower. G's workin' my upper registry lol! Can't wait to hear more ;)!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it a lot ... but it seems to end to quickly, almost like there should be a seventh alleluia phrase as the resolution. Just my two cents. :) I agree that lowering it to F would make it a lot more friendly to those of us who are not sopranos. We are using your Mass of St. Ann Gospel Acclamation and writing out the verse to the melody each week. Would love to see you also offer a way to intone the verse if it's very wordy or even very short as a way to ensure even our singers who aren't used to improvising a verse melody could sing it. I love the videos you are posting. Your congregation is wonderful. I wish I could show them to my congregation and say, 'See, you can do it!' We are getting there little by little! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan and Lynn,

      Thanks for the comments. Glad the videos are helpful!
      I wasn't planning on adding anything to MoSA, yet, but I will consider it. Thanks.
      Ed

      Delete
  4. Nice setting, Ed. I agree, move it to F. I don't know if this would be overstaying its welcome, but what do you think about extending that last Alleluia one extra bar, so that it falls on the 2nd, then resolves in the final bar? e.g.,

    al - le - lu - - - - - - - - ia
    F - F - C - - Bb A G - - F

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christian,

      Cool idea...I wonder if I would have enough breath for that. I'm the worst!

      Ed

      Delete
  5. I really like this...easy to learn, easy to sing. I would suggest that there's something about an Gospel Acclamation (like an Amen) that needs a stronger resolution at the end though. (V7 - I). For example, if the 'ia' in your last alleluia landed on the A instead of the G, you could add one more quick alleluia (all 8th notes)that allows you go travel from a D7 to a G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Another great idea for the end! Thanks for sharing this.

      Ed

      Delete
  6. I like it...the verse works really well. Do you not intone your Gospel Acclamations? I didn't hear that but the recording may have been cut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gregg,

      Thanks. That's pretty much how we do it, the way you heard it.

      Ed

      Delete
  7. Great comments, everyone, and thanks so much for listening and sharing. Thanks for the suggestions! I will really consider them. Great ideas. I will post more soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Mass for a New Era setting! We will be using them at our church soon!

    ReplyDelete