Thursday, August 22, 2013

Lord, Come to My Aid...when I need a psalm setting!

In our planning, I'm sure many of us discover that we may not have a psalm setting for a particular Sunday that seems to be 'the one.' Sometimes there seems to be an obvious choice; other times...not so much.  I find that I will often times try and write something that fills the need for a particular Sunday. This past week was no different, so I thought I'd share with you what we used (what I wrote).


I wanted a simple refrain, and I went back and forth with whether or not it should be syncopated.  I decided to go with the syncopation, but tried to keep it predictable.  You'll notice that the melody and rhythms are exactly the same in both phrases of the refrain. The chords change underneath, though, which helps to keep it musically interesting.

Piano intro, followed by a Refrain with solo voice and piano, followed by a repeat of the refrain with full ensemble...but no harmonies, yet.  Then, to be a little different, I asked the band to tacet on the first phrase of Verse 1.  That verse is all by itself in the Lectionary. I felt it would be too short to sing, then go right back to the Refrain, so I isolated it musically from the rest of the Verse.  The band comes back in on "The Lord heard my cry..."

It could be played with a lot less instrumentation...and it was at some of the Masses.   Here's a video from the Mass.

http://youtu.be/GnWpILwJpFI


eBundles

New at voicesasone.com - eBundles have arrived.  At WLP we are taking our contemporary titles and bundling them together with lead sheets, keyboard accompaniments, instrumental parts (and adding them if they aren't already written), assembly boxes, lyrics, etc.  Just another way to get everything you need for a particular song.  Get the bundle, then purchase as many lead sheets as you need!

Here's an example of Follow Me by Danielle Rose.


No comments:

Post a Comment