Tuesday, January 25, 2011

All are welcome...

I'm sitting here at Monkey Joe's. It's a party, play place for kids. I'm watching my son jump around on all of the slides and play areas with a bunch of other kids as they celebrate a classmate's birthday. They're having a blast!

Celebrating.

We celebrate different events in so many different ways. It varies among age groups. It varies among cultures. And, of course, it varies depending on what we are celebrating.

For example, I wouldn't expect a group of adults to choose a place like the one I'm in now to celebrate a friend's retirement! Or a 5 year old to choose a nice dinner and dancing! We all celebrate in different ways.

When we all come together on Sunday to CELEBRATE The Eucharist, we are many ages, many cultures...many people. I try to consider this as much as possible when planning what songs we will sing TOGETHER! Choosing only songs for kids wouldn't be right, nor would choosing only songs adults would find more familiar, or even teens. (and teens are their OWN culture) It's a balancing act. Contemporary, traditional, fast, slow, loud, soft, old, new...whatever works. Not only does it help to engage each age group, but it also helps everyone appreciate ALL styles of music.

As I sit here in this room designed for kids, I see flat screen tv's, recliner chairs, coffee, wi-fi, music from the 90's(!), etc. Even the adults feel welcome and included in the celebration. We are all joining in the festivities. Shouldn't the same hold true for Sunday mass?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this Ed. It is definitely a balancing act when choosing what songs to sing and being concerned with the congregations reactions. I don't understand though how teens have their own "culture". Teenagers are an integral part of the culture at hand. How are teens any different in a culture than young adults, toddlers, or senior citizens. I would say that teens are very maliable and it is our responsibility as leaders (parents, teachers, music leaders, adults in the culture) to guide them appropriately into the culture so that they create a richer society built on our traditions and history. Just my two cents. Keep up the posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christopher. Yes, I would agree, of course, that teens are an “integral part of the culture at hand.” What I mean is that teens seem to have their own identity in their own music, their own styles of clothing, even their own language at times! In some ways I would address a group of teens differently than a group of adults, or a group of younger children.
    Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete