Monday, December 10, 2012

What was that song again...???

Choosing songs for Mass can be both exciting and daunting at times. Sometimes, when I read through the readings, songs will immediately pop into my head. I won't even need to look at a planner. Other times, I find it more difficult to find something that fits that particular Sunday, especially from our existing repertoire. I'm finding more and more that I need to come up with creative ways to remember songs (and lyrics) or to discover something new that would really fit our music ministry.

1. One thing I do is keep a running list of songs that, for whatever reason, I find interesting. It could be that a song has really powerful lyrics, or is a good call/response type song, or has a great melody that keeps running through my head, or is simply a great fast song! Other times, I might run across one or two titles where I think, "I want to do that song again sometime soon, but it won't really work for this week." Whenever that happens, I add that song to the list. I keep it on a dry-erase board near my desk. It's basically a list of songs I think we should try, use again soon, or check out for later. I've found in the past that I've missed the boat on something that would've been great simply because I forgot!  It's also good to refer to that list when I'm searching for a specific need in a liturgy. Often times it's right there on the board.

2. Another tool I've found helpful is keeping all of the lyrics for every song in a Word document or some other kind of searchable database. If I'm trying to find a song about "thanks" I might search that word in the document and see what lyrics pop up. If I still don't find what I need, I'll try different searches like "grateful," or "thankful," etc. Most of the time this will yield some good possibilities. Other times, even though the word is there, the song just isn't a good choice for that time.

3. I use every planner I can get my hands on and read through as many commentaries as I have time for, every week. It's helpful to see what songs are consistent from planner to planner, as well as other points of view on style, placement in the liturgy, etc. A comment, a suggestion, a footnote...whatever...might spark an idea in my own mind or lead me to another title I had forgotten about.

In case you were wondering, I use AIM (WLP), Today's Liturgy (OCP),  GIA Quarterly (GIA) , Liturgy Planning Guides (Life Teen).





January 27, 2013 – Third Sunday in Ordinary Time

(These songs are off of my planning notes for this particular Sunday, which means I am strongly considering using them on these days. After each title I’ve added some thoughts to consider.)

(Click on titles for links to their respective pages.)


He Lives In Us by Amelia Acosta (WLP) – The verses of this new song can be done by a cantor/soloist, bringing in the assembly on “He lives in us” each time, though the choir and assembly could sing it all. There is a nice pre-chorus as well, longer than usual, so it might be a good idea to begin with the Refrain when singing this song for the first time. That is a technique I often use when teaching a new song. The assembly sings the Refrain, the cantor sings verse 1, and then…they already know the Refrain! Beautiful song.
Suggested use: Song of Preparation/Offertory, Communion, Second Communion
 
 
Lord, You Have the Words by Ed Bolduc (WLP) – with a very simple refrain, this song revolves around 2 chords all the way until verse 3. The colorful vocal harmonies can really fill out the verses nicely. (From the CD The Face of God. Suggested use: Song of Preparation/Offertory, Communion, Second Communion
 
Thy Word by Amy Grant and Michael W. Smith (CCLI) – this timeless classic always invokes singing from the assembly. Start simply and build. Then, drop out everything and let the assembly hear themselves sing these words. Check out the instrumental parts available in the Voices As One C Instrument Books. Suggested use: Song of Preparation/Offertory, Communion, Second Communion

We Bring Our Gifts to Your Altar by Brian Flynn (WLP) – this is a new, contemporary song in a hymn-style format. Four verses with the same music (and a key change) make it easy to learn and sing quickly. As the name indicates, this is a great song for the Offertory/Preparation of the gifts. (From the CD Born Again.)  Suggested use: Song of Preparation/Offertory, Communion, Second Communion


Word of God Speak by Bart Millard (CCLI) – "Word of God, speak, would you pour down like rain!" beautiful, powerful song recorded by the group Mercy Me. I find the key of A works well. Suggested use: Song of Preparation/Offertory, Communion, Second Communion.












1 comment:

  1. Ed, LOVE the blog! great stuff here and thankful for your continued service to the Church!!

    ReplyDelete