Tuesday, January 15, 2013

If you do what I do, don't do what I did...

Week after week I hope to share some ideas with you that have worked in my parish in our music program.  We, of course, have tried them as well. Most of the time I'm happy to report that things go well! 

Well...a few weeks back I talked about using loops to help set tempos and even add some 'missing' elements to your live performances. We had only done a little of that up to that point, though it's done a lot by other contemporary groups. Over the past month, however, we've used at least 3 different loops...with 3 different experiences that I thought I'd share.  Hopefully, you can avoide some of the pitfalls we've had.  :-)
 
Monumental loop failure #1. We were starting Mass with "Awake to the Day" (WLP).  In my studio I created a loop similar to the one on the recording. (I don't have those original studio tracks.)  It was 6 beats long and just kept repeating (or 'looping.')  We practiced with it and everything felt great. When it came time to start the song, I looked over at our drummer to let him know I was ready for him to press 'play.' He did, but I forgot to turn up the loop in my monitor, so I missed the first part of it. Then, as I listened to it, I had no earthly idea where beat '1' was!  So, I just started...halfway through it. That made the whole thing just seem 'off,' especially to the rest of the band.
My bad...

Monumental loop failure # 2. We were singing Paul Baloche's beautiful song "Christmas Offering" on Epiphany. I had purchased and downloaded a great loop from PraiseCharts.com.  We practiced with it...and it sounded great. It came time to play the song at Mass, I looked over at our drummer to let him know I was ready for him to press 'play.' He did, but I forgot to turn up the loop in my monitor, (sound familiar?)  so, I was listening to what was coming out of the house system. Well, there's a place in the song right before the chorus where everything...including the loop...drops out completely. I had no reference of tempo since I didn't turn up my monitor...so we got off. Just enough to screw everything up.  So, our drummer shut off the loop and we played the song without it.
My bad...again.

Monumental loop failure # 3. We were introducing Matt Redman's popular song "10,000 Reasons" as a song of praise after communion. Once again, I had purchased a great loop, we practiced...all was well. Then, it came time to do the song.  I looked over at our drummer to let him know I was ready for him to press 'play.' He did, but I forgot to turn up the loop in my monitor, (I'm not kidding.)  The loop played this really nice percussion pattern with a synth intro...very cool...and very 'all-by-itself!'  I totally missed the countoff. Luckily, it was the intro and there were no vocals requred, yet.  I simply joined in with the piano and all was well.  But...geez...3 times?  I forgot to turn up my monitor 3 times? 

Our verdict?  We really love what the loops add (percussion, synth, extra gtr parts, etc.) and we're going to continue to use them...and just get it right!  I'm happy to say that everyone has had no difficulty staying with the tempo of the loops. As long as we follow the chart and stay with it...AND I TURN UP MY MONITOR...it all works great.  It's definitely added a new dimension to a few songs- as well as a nice challenge!

I just wanted to share this with you to show that I am not afraid to admit when things go wrong. I ain't no expert!  :-)  It happens all the time. As long as we can learn from our mistakes (ahem...3 times?) then that's what matters.






February 3, 2013 – Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time

(These songs are off of my planning notes for this particular Sunday, which means I am strongly considering using them on these days. After each title I’ve added some thoughts to consider.)

(Click on titles for links to their respective pages.)


 
I Will Sing by Craig & Kristen Colson (spiritandsong.com) – This is an upbeat setting of psalm 71. Listen to the recording for some arrangement/performance ideas. If you've got a sax player, this might be a good opportunity to feature them during the psalm. (From the CD Fill Us With Your Love.)
Suggested use: Responsorial Psalm


Love by Ed Bolduc (WLP) - a contemporary, ballad-style, duet setting of this exact text. (From the CD Word for Word.)
Suggested use: Song of Preparation/Offertory, Second Communion


The Name of Jesus by Brian Flynn and Jeff Thomas (WLP) – a great, driving contemporary song which would be great as a closing song. (From the CD Born Again.)
Suggested use: Song of Preparation/Offertory, Song of Thanksgiving/Dismissal


He Has Anointed Me by Aaron Thompson (WLP) - we heard these words last Sunday (3OT) in the Gospel reading. Aaron has crafted this new piece for choir and piano, or playable by a band.
Suggested use: Song of Preparation/Offertory, Second Communion


Jesus, My Everything by Matt Maher (spiritandsong.com) - Matt's signature melodies and chord changes are present here in one of his most beautiful songs. Keep it simple with just guitar or piano, or fill it out with a full band. Maintain a gentleness about the arrangement, though.

3 comments:

  1. We began using loops last year during our Christmas masses and the music program we run before them. We are slowly transitioning into using clicks and loops to fill in some parts where we are missing instrumentation during weekend liturgy. The click really seems to give us freedom and peace, which seems counter intuitive, but there's no question where the downbeat is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg, how are you playing them through the system? Laptop? iPhone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have used a laptop running the loops from iTunes or Ableton Live. We connect the laptop to a small M-Audio usb audio interface, and connect the M-Audio outputs 1&2 to (2) direct boxes and tie into the system that way. We pan the click hard left (ch.1) and the loop hard right (ch.2) in the software. Once the signal arrives to the mixer, the click stays unassigned and the loop is mixed on a channel to the house PA. We are getting used to Ableton, and really like the flexibility it gives us. iTunes is the easiest we have found, and was a great starting place for us.

      Our middle school music ministry uses one of the free metronomes on their iPod touch, plugged into a DI. They only use the click for their rehearsals, but it's a great way for them to get accustomed to the click and playing in time.

      Delete